Friday, July 31, 2009

Let's have a beer and make up

This past week we saw our President, Vice President, a college professor and a police officer sitting around a table having a beer. I am not going to address the event that triggered this. What I am going to address is the comment made by the President, "Let's have a beer."

For some reason this bothers me and I can't put my finger on why. I talked to a couple of the residents at work and they said the same thing, it bothered them as well.

It is not the fact that the four of them got together to discuss the situation. It is the comment. For some reason having the President of the United States acting like Joe Six Pack bothers me. Maybe it is the fact that I was raised to respect the office of the President and there was a decorum associated with it. Maybe it is because I am not a beer drinker so I don't get the concept.

I guess I need to go and find a group of folks, have a beer and try to figure why this bothers me. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you completely! This has bothered me. There are a few examples of Obama being in the public eye that I have found not to be very "presidential". Showing up in the public eye at professional basketball games and on tv for the MLB All-Star game wearing jeans is a poor image to be making to the world. Especially when you are the most powerful man on the planet. Our president is not a "common man" and should never be scene as such! He is the President of the United States and as such, he should hold himself to the high standards that go with the title. I was not a fan of Bill Clinton and yet I can say that whenever he was in the public eye, he presented himself as the image of the president. Both Bushes did the same.

    Obama, please shape up and conduct yourself in the public eye as the president and not some jerkwad "commoner". After all, your image is the image that international leaders associate our great nation with. We deserve to be presented better.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments. I have recently learned that comments come to me as anonymous. Therefore, please sign your comments unless you really want to be anonymous. Let's keep the discussions on topic. Thanks...