Sunday, August 9, 2009

King Co. trans fats regulation effects us as well

Did you know that the King County Board of Health told county restaurants in July to phase out trans fats and voted to require chain restaurants to provide nutritional information for all menu items. This means removing trans fats in such things as market bakery breads? I didn't either because I don't live in King County. Yet, today, I learned that the King County ban also effects us here in Whatcom County. How, you may asked.

We recently purchased a loaf of bread at Haggen's bakery here in Ferndale. When we got home it was not the same as previous loafs that we have purchased. It seemed like it was not cooked all the way, a little mushy in the middle.

Today we were at the market and went to get another loaf thinking we just got a bad one last time. We started talking to the lady who baked the bread and found out that they have changed the recipe. Because Haggen has stores in King County, all there stores have changed. They have removed trans fats from some of their bread lines. The results, mushy breads.

King County Board of Health did this because they know what's best for their residents. As long as I have been going to the market, I don't remember anyone ever forcing my mom, my wife or myself to purchase anything. If I want bread that tastes good and is not mushy then I should be able to purchase it. Why do we need bureaucrats telling us what we can and can not eat.

I would urge everyone to contact Haggens and request that they go back to the old bread recipe. Why should we have to suffer for King County's dumb ideas. We get enough of that already.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to comments. I have recently learned that comments come to me as anonymous. Therefore, please sign your comments unless you really want to be anonymous. Let's keep the discussions on topic. Thanks...